March 27, 2008

The Well Trained Mind



I recently finished this book and can't say enough good about it. I have been considering moving our homeschooling style to more of a classical education so I went looking for some great books on the subject. I ran across this at the library and it was everything I needed. I am now planning on ordering it so that I have my own copy at home. It was extremely hard not to pick up a pen and highlighter and start marking all over in this book!

The whole book was impressive, IMO, but I really liked that it has everything mapped out for you clear through highschool. It describes each aspect of homeschooling using the classical approach from the actual school subjects, to organizing your year's schedule, to balancing multiple children, and running your household. It includes great reading lists, resource references, state laws, record keeping tools, and so much more. I really think this has been the most thorough book I have read regarding homeschooling in a couple of years. It is one of those that I wish I would have found sooner!

I can't wait for my own copy to arrive so I can get highlighter happy with it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a well trained mind! LOL! It just misbehaves all the time!

I have heard good things about that book too. I suppose I should edukaet myself on the other methods of schooling (as well as learn more about my chosen one!)