July 2, 2008

Tooth Fairy Due Any Time

Grace, 5, has nurtured a loose tooth for a couple weeks now. The excitement, anticipation, and fear were too much for her to handle. She couldn't make up her mind if she was ready to let go of that tooth.

She tried wiggling...to no avail.

She tried eating apples....to no avail.

Then her darling older sister convinced her to tie a string around it and yank. That only succeeded in ripping and embedding the dental floss down into her gums. After careful near-surgical removal by scissors we got the floss off the tooth, but the tooth remained in her mouth. She decided against any further recommendations on how to remove it.

Oh but leave it to a forgetful mom to rid her of that tooth!

We were walking through our local department store tonight and I noticed that she had some chocolate from a cookie on her mouth. Being irritated that I forgot to do the face check prior to unloading the children from the car I hastily had her open her mouth to lick my finger so I could do the dreaded wet finger wipe thing. As I plunged my finger into her mouth out comes a tooth. Yikes! It fell right onto her arm and she, not knowing what had just happened, looked at it in wonder. I told her it was her tooth and she went from being excited to quickly being scared as blood dripped from her mouth at a fast rate. I grabbed a cloth diaper, yep it was the only thing I had in my purse that resembled something absorbent, and put it in her mouth. I know this is an exciting event but so is a pleasant shopping trip so she walked around for another half hour with a diaper in her mouth.

And now to remember to invite the tooth fairy to come take that tooth!

No comments: