Where education is the lighting of a fire, not the filling of a pail~ George Washington Carver
August 15, 2008
Week in Review Aug. 15th
We have successfully completed our second week of our fourth school year! We celebrated with a class photo. It is minus one student that was down for a nap during picture time. Somehow he always misses out.
We are using Christian Kids Explore Biology and so far we are very excited about it. This week we learned about plant and animal cells. Our project was to make a Jello replica of an animal cell. So we took Jello and added fruit pieces in the shapes of the parts of the cell to it. We did this in three layers so that it created depth. We were able to cut the Jello in half and identify our pieces before we got to enjoy eating it. The peach nucleus was the best part!
My poor photography skills are truly shining through on this one. I apologize but here is a basic idea of what it looked like.
Olivia (9) is thoroughly enjoying Spanish this year. We are using Spanish in 10 Min. a Day along with numerous online videos, particularly from Youtube. Here is the one she liked the most to learn the alphabet. After hearing this song a few times on the first day she had it mastered. She has also mastered the colors, numbers, and some basic objects this week. This is when it becomes oh so clear that with a little bit of enthusiasm they can learn anything quickly.
We got the pleasure of taking care of some pygmy goats and chickens while my parents were on vacation this week. We got up early and drove to their place to feed and water them. The girls like checking for eggs the most. They love to pet the goats but the goats see them as playmates their size and tend to want to butt them around. We also thought we would be bludgeoned by a chicken at one point. Then we realized it was our bright toe nail polish that was attracting them to our feet. We made a mental note not to wear flip flops to feed the animals and all was well from then on.
This pretty much sums up our week. I hope that the rest of the year is comparable to how our first two weeks were. Isn't that wishful thinking? I need to bottle up some of this enthusiasm for January!
Sounds like a very good week. Love the cell! By the way, I found out that the photo of the bush in my yard I had up for WW is also called the Rose of Sharon as well as the althea bush. Thank you for letting me know that. ~Have a blessed day. ~Rhonda
4 comments:
Sounds like a very good week. Love the cell!
By the way, I found out that the photo of the bush in my yard I had up for WW is also called the Rose of Sharon as well as the althea bush. Thank you for letting me know that.
~Have a blessed day.
~Rhonda
Looks like your girls had a fun week. My photo taking skills aren't much to be desired either. I think you did a great job. :)
What a great class photo. I love the jello idea!
Michele
What a fun week! I love doing the plant cells out of jello. And yummy for later!
Post a Comment