October 21, 2008

almost Wordless Wednesday

This one requires some words. It looks like a trunk of a tree but what didn't turn out in the photo was that it was covered in gnats. The tree looked fuzzy and like it could fly out of the ground with so many wings on it. Pretty amazing in person.

Note: click photo to see a larger image.

10 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oooh, I could tell that it looked fuzzy. I have never seen something like that in "real life."
I guess they rest on trees so they can have plenty of energy to annoy people later on.

I hope you are having a great week so far! :0)

Dangie said...

Wow! That must have been cool to see!

Ruskin said...

How incredible!
I have a horrible memory as a child leaning on a tree and then realising that it was covered with wasps. I haven't seen anything like it since until this picture. Shudder!
I would love to hear more about the engineering projects you do at your local college too...

Katy said...

Wow! and Ewwww! :)

Paige said...

That must have been neat to see in real like, thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

I saw the fuzzy - I don't know if I should say "thanks for explaining" or "I wish I didn't know!" Great picture either way!

Brittney said...

YIKES! Did they carry the tree off?

Lindsey said...

I wish the ones of the ground around it turned out better so I could have give you all a better perspective of them. We tend to get quite a few gnats this time of year but I haven't seen them cover a tree so completely like this. Gross and interesting all the same.

Melissa said...

I've never seen anything quite like this!! Eeew and awesome all in the same breath.

Anonymous said...

EW EW EW!!!! That is disturbing! :D