January 13, 2009

About Time

A poem I love:

I have only just a minute,
Only 60 seconds in it;
Forced upon me, didn’t choose it,
Didn’t seek it, can’t refuse it;
So it’s up to me to use it,
Have to suffer if I lose it,
Pay a price if I abuse it.
Just a tiny little minute,
But eternity is in it.

There's a lot to think about in that poem. I've been thinking about time- One of God's greatest gifts to us. I woke up last night at 3am, sat wide awake in bed and realized how much I misuse my time. I spend much of my precious time on the internet. I blog, belong to online groups, have lots and lots of emails, and like to read books online. My children and husband see me sitting here staring at this laptop for much of the day. How sad that is.

When I thought about it what is it about emails that are that important? Sure, I have a few that tell me important things like when an activity is or some from far away friends and relatives that email is our only communication. But many are idle chit chat. I enjoy online groups but in the grand scheme of things they shouldn't matter enough to replace personal relationships. And blogging? I like to blog but I can journal just as easily. I enjoy reading the comments on my blog but someday when we read through our family journal I will have comments from those that were written about in the journal- my family. And with less time being spent on the computer I will have more to journal about.

I know that if something were to happen this isn't how I would have wanted to spend so much of my time. So here is to less time on the computer.

No comments: