May 21, 2007

2007 Women's Retreat


I spent the weekend at my first women's retreat. At first thought a retreat sounds like a great place to get away for a few days from the responsibilities that most wives, moms, and women in general have- and they are good for this- but as the weekend progressed I started to realize that there are so many other great aspects to them. I started to understand that I needed this retreat so much more than I had ever fathomed.


I typically don't do group activities because I am more of the fly-on-the-wall type. I get into a routine and stay there. This was out of my comfort zone, but thanks to my aunt and her wonderful friend and pastor I ventured outside of my box and found it to be wonderfully refreshing!


They offered so many great activities like crafts, music opportunities, challenge courses (tight rope walking, free falling from 30 feet, etc.), games, and just good old quiet time to think. Besides the things that were listed on the brochure, it offered a chance to be with other women who deal with the same things that we all do. It gave us a chance to make new friends and to trust in them our feelings, thoughts, and fears. We had some great gut wrenching laughs and just as many hard cries. We heard some uplifting music and spectacular speakers that turned my spark of faith into a full blazing fire.


By the end of the weekend I was sad to leave, but excited to know that come next year I won't have to be convinced to try it. I know that I will go and I look forward to spending another great weekend with women that I can look up to, grow in faith with, and have some good fun and laughs with! You know it is good when you can leave a place with a feeling in your heart that lasts for days.

No comments: