October 9, 2008

Deer Hunting 2008

We just returned from our week long excursion into the Eagle Caps for deer hunting. The weather, for the most part, was spectacular. It was short sleeved shirt weather all but one day. The boys hunt from the wee hours of the morning until lunch time. They return to camp for some hot food and then take off again for an afternoon hunt. I enjoy going for the evening hunts so we do those as a family. We seen a lot of does and fawns but no bucks. Oh except this one...
This four point buck was waltzing through the streets of the local town when we came for gas. He knew he was safe! I imagine the residents at the local assisted living facility get a kick out of seeing this peeping tom staring into their rooms. We talked of lassoing him and walking him to the outskirts of town so we could tag him. My husband thought it would be more funny if I could ride him out of town. That's the point when we decided to head back to the mountains. :o)

The girls were playing like they were wild Indians running through the hills. I figured no Indian should be without a teepee so below is our great build. Last camping trip we made a miniature log cabin, after doing a teepee I have to say I prefer the teepee. Much less work! So here we are introducing the princess teepee.

Here are my camp mugshots.


Olivia has been working her way up the ranks of the guns for the past couple of years. She has practiced on larger guns (her favorite) but typically shoots the .22 for fun. She got a lot of shooting practice in this weekend.
Here is her target. It was positioned quite a ways away so I thought she did rather well. Before long she will be hunting with dad, unless her mom corrupts her first and turns her into an animal lover, lol.


Here is our smores pictures. Our aunt was so kind as to bring us chocolate graham crackers and spreadable marshmellow cream incase the weather wouldn't allow us to make the real ones. Luckily for us we could make them over the fire, it just isn't the same without the fire!
And then the weather turned on us. We seen it coming in and before long it snowed and snowed. The girls were in their glory out playing in it.

They played so hard that they slept like rocks!


So although we didn't get a deer we still had a good time. It always reminds me how packing is fun but unpacking isn't.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

That looks like a wonderful family time. I love the princess teepee-that is just too cute.
And you got snow, wow! My kids would revel in that.
~I hope you have a wonderful week-end.

Bootcamp Burners said...

What a great family getaway! I showed my girls the teepee and they now want to build one in the back yard. Only we have not branches. What a beautiful picture of the buck. Thats amazing.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were still gone!
Glad you had a good time. I bet the nights were cold though! They were down here.

Great photos.

Paige said...

Looks like a great family getaway! Isn't funny how the deer seem to know what time of year it is. They head for the safe places every hunting season around here! Thanks for sharing.