October 2, 2008

Cell Phones and Text Messaging

When we changed cellular phone contracts a couple years back we gave our daughters our old phones to play with. They are equipped with cameras so our girls love to use these to take fun pictures of things of interest to them. I say that because what interests a five year old might not be worthy of a picture on an adult camera. Everything has went along quite well, without a hitch for a long time.

And then....it started. Our five year old's phone started to receive text messages and voice mails. There is no service on the phone so we can't hear the voice messages. We can read the texts though. Some are simple like, "going for a pop", "rich boy", and "yes". Others are quite comical like, "I think you are carrie, the brown haired girl, am I right?". Or "meet me at store and don't tell anyone". And my favorite this week, "I'll delete mine if you delete yours- prove it".

These don't happen to come during the most convenient times. She is receiving them at all hours of the night. With a vibration and small jiggle we are alerted to something new happening on her phone. Now most would suggest we remove the battery from her phone to put a stop to it but then she would be without her camera. And she loves her camera. Plus it wouldn't be fair for her sister to still have one. And do we punish both of them by removing the batteries in both phones when only one phone has this glitch?

I contacted the carrier of the phones and they said it is quite common. That the person who really has that phone number currently is still receiving them all too. We are simply ease-dropping into their conversations by some technical glitch that the carrier had neither a knowledge of how to or a desire to fix.

So would you continue to read in on these conversations, remove the batteries, or do you have another suggestion? Also, I am now keenly aware of the talk used on these phones that appear to be owned by teenagers so how do you feel about teens having their own phones loaded with packages that allow what clearly must be unlimited text messaging? Any other comments on this subject?

After thought note: We do not allow our daughters to read the messages just in case they become vulgar. So no worries there.

5 comments:

Paige said...

That's very stange, I don't know what I would do. Maybe let them keep them for now and get them a kid's digital camera for Christmas?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the phone company who used to have your contract can re-program the phone? Give it a non-number? I wonder if they would charge for that? Make sure to ask our friend whose husband works for a cellular company.

Lindsey said...

I contacted the phone company and they said this is a common issue (phones receiving messages intended for other phones) and that they were unaware of anyway of dealing with it aside from removing the battery. They said if the phone is not under a current contract with them it was out of their hands. Bummer for the girls. I thought of doing what Paige said and buy digital cameras for them for Christmas. Liv has one but the viewing screen is very small so she doesn't use it much. And they are expensive to buy for a 5 year old who isn't the gentlest on things. Ugh. Any other suggestions?

Anonymous said...

(oh yeah, you did say that- didn't you?)
My Mom bought The Boy a real cheap digital (no viewing screen- very small) and it takes ROTTEN photos. Can't tell most of the time what he took a picture of. So then you have to spend more money to get a decent one.
Maybe get Liv the camera and let the 5 year old have the other phone? Maybe buy used digital cameras? So then the expense will not be so high?

Robin said...

I agree with everyone else. Get rid of the phone and buy a small digital camera since that is all she uses it for. No need to expose her to the weirdness.

Robin of mytwoblessings