
A Lesson on Aging
We all age, it is a fact of life. Unfortunately in America aging adults are seen as more of a burden than as a precious asset to our communities. In some countries they cherish their aging members of the communities, treating them with the utmost respect they deserve. Not here in America, so I sought to ensure that my children won't add to this sad mentality.
I have always made sure my children are respectful to adults of all ages. I wanted to drive the lesson home to have patience with the elder because someday we will all be there. I seen a morning news show that gave me some ideas. I wish I could find a link to post but I can't.
We started off the day with some great discussions. We discussed what it feels like to be behind that elder person at the grocery store when they walk slowly and hunched over through the doors and you are stuck behind them. We talked about how it takes them a little longer to find their money or to sign their names on checks. About how their hearing isn't as good and sometimes they either don't hear us or they misunderstand what we said. How sometimes it takes them a little longer to process their thoughts. All these things are part of aging and we talked about the reasoning behind them. Sometimes discussions aren't enough. I want them to feel what it is like so it has a lasting effect on them. This is where our experiment came in.
I put cotton balls in their ears so they couldn't hear quite as well. I put rubber gloves on their fingers so that it made handling money and paper harder. I taped a few random knuckles to make them stiffer to use, simulating arthritis. I then put corn kernels inside their socks so it felt like they were walking bone-on-bone in their shoes, causing them to slow down and hunch over. I had them take turns wearing my reading glasses so it distorted their vision. Once they were all set in their elder digs we started our school day.

I had them write their names with their non-typical hand to show them how hard it is for elders to hold their pencil and keep control of it. We dealt out money and I had them try to hurry and hand me the correct amount with their gloves on and taped fingers. I then walked behind them and tried to hurry them with my words to show them what it must feel like to aging adults to be constantly told to hurry or to be passed repeatedly. The final thing was for them to try to do some school work with my glasses on.

They thought it was fun at first and then as the experiment progressed they started to see the reality and point behind it. It is hard and these people don't want to have the ailments of aging any more than anyone else. And this doesn't have to be all about aging. I explained to them that people with all different disabilities have struggles. It is important to be patient with ALL people. How quickly we could be one of those people that needs a little extra patience extended our way or some extra help with everyday things. I hope it sunk in and the next time they see someone struggling they have patience for them and remember what it was like to go through the day how they did today.
Next experiment will be with disabilities. Everyone should know what it is like to walk with crutches, be blind, deaf, etc. so that you have more of an understanding of how that would effect every aspect of your life. Stay tuned for that one!
I have always made sure my children are respectful to adults of all ages. I wanted to drive the lesson home to have patience with the elder because someday we will all be there. I seen a morning news show that gave me some ideas. I wish I could find a link to post but I can't.
We started off the day with some great discussions. We discussed what it feels like to be behind that elder person at the grocery store when they walk slowly and hunched over through the doors and you are stuck behind them. We talked about how it takes them a little longer to find their money or to sign their names on checks. About how their hearing isn't as good and sometimes they either don't hear us or they misunderstand what we said. How sometimes it takes them a little longer to process their thoughts. All these things are part of aging and we talked about the reasoning behind them. Sometimes discussions aren't enough. I want them to feel what it is like so it has a lasting effect on them. This is where our experiment came in.
I put cotton balls in their ears so they couldn't hear quite as well. I put rubber gloves on their fingers so that it made handling money and paper harder. I taped a few random knuckles to make them stiffer to use, simulating arthritis. I then put corn kernels inside their socks so it felt like they were walking bone-on-bone in their shoes, causing them to slow down and hunch over. I had them take turns wearing my reading glasses so it distorted their vision. Once they were all set in their elder digs we started our school day.

I had them write their names with their non-typical hand to show them how hard it is for elders to hold their pencil and keep control of it. We dealt out money and I had them try to hurry and hand me the correct amount with their gloves on and taped fingers. I then walked behind them and tried to hurry them with my words to show them what it must feel like to aging adults to be constantly told to hurry or to be passed repeatedly. The final thing was for them to try to do some school work with my glasses on.

They thought it was fun at first and then as the experiment progressed they started to see the reality and point behind it. It is hard and these people don't want to have the ailments of aging any more than anyone else. And this doesn't have to be all about aging. I explained to them that people with all different disabilities have struggles. It is important to be patient with ALL people. How quickly we could be one of those people that needs a little extra patience extended our way or some extra help with everyday things. I hope it sunk in and the next time they see someone struggling they have patience for them and remember what it was like to go through the day how they did today.
Next experiment will be with disabilities. Everyone should know what it is like to walk with crutches, be blind, deaf, etc. so that you have more of an understanding of how that would effect every aspect of your life. Stay tuned for that one!
3 comments:
What a way to learn! I think you did a great job of showing your kids what it is like to be older. I think I will use this experiment with my girls.
You have such creative ideas!
You are so amazing. Love your ideas. :)
Post a Comment