December 9, 2008

The Christmas Jar

The Christmas Jar

We were blessed to learn of a Christmas legacy based on a best selling novel Christmas Jars this year. I can't help but to tell you our story.

How very rare is it to hear of kind acts these days. You can turn on the news or open the paper and be overwhelmed with stories of misfortune and grief, but it is rare to see or read of a kind act from anyone, let alone a stranger.

We received a visit from a messenger the other day. She came to our home to share a story and give us a gift, a beautiful red gift bag. She told us that another family had selected her to be the deliverer and us to be the receiving family. She said only the givers of the gift knew the reasons why they chose our family and that we shouldn't spend too much time trying to investigate who sent the gift.

We opened the gift bag to find a beautiful jar with a red ribbon on the top of it. It has "Christmas Jar" wrote on it. It isn't a new jar, but instead shows marks of years of use. Inside the jar is money. I won't say how much, that is for our family to know and part of the legacy behind the story. But it is enough for us to enjoy a family gift that we otherwise wouldn't be able to treat our children to. Along with the jar was the best part- a book. It is Christmas Jars, by Jason Wright.

I'm not sure our visitor had time to pull out of the driveway before we started to read the book. It isn't a long book, but then it doesn't have to be long to have a profound impact on people. I highly recommend reading this book and after you read it you just might want to consider starting your own Christmas Jar. Our family has already decided that come December 26th we will start our own jar and next year we will look forward to passing our jar on to a family we think might need to learn of it's meaning.

How amazing that what started as a simple story turned into a Christmas legacy for thousands of people to share in and how blessed are we to be a part of it. I hope you take the time to learn of the Christmas Jar and what it means to others. You can go to the link at the beginning of this post to read what impact the jars have had on other families and individuals. There are some truly spectacular stories of life changing moments, second chances, and dreams come true. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! There are some real thoughtful people out there.

Dacia's School said...

That is so sweet and the dog is a mastiff

Bootcamp Burners said...

What a wonderful gift! I am going to buy that book and do the same thing. Thanks for sharing this. I had no clue something like this existed.

Rhonda said...

What an absolutely lovely, wonderful blessing! I hope I can find that book-it sounds wonderful.
I hope you are healing well!!