August 10, 2007

Our Wedding With Alzheimers, Birds and Theifs

We had a wedding that resembled all other weddings in most ways and then it was nothing like most weddings in a few ways. So I thought I would share our wedding story.

Neither me nor my husband like to be in front of people so we opted for a small country wedding. I would have liked it to be three times smaller than it was, but unfortunately as with most weddings just because you are the bride doesn't mean that you make the decisions. We get to take into account the mom, mom-in-law, grandmas, and any other female that wants to declare her opinion as a law. So that is how my guest list grew from 50 to 250.

I love things simple and old. And I had always admired a small country grange hall building near our town so that is where I wanted to hold our wedding, I was sure it would be perfect. We bought tons of potted shrubs and flowers to use as decorations (that way I got the benefit of a beautiful yard afterwards when I planted all the decorations in my yard!). We made the flower arrangements for inside, lined the aisle with candles, and had everything ready. Now we needed to meet with the pastor.

Our pastor, bless his heart, counseled us on marriage for a couple of hours. And although I know that what he said was very important and came from his heart there is only one thing I remember him saying to us. And if you ask my husband that is all he remembers too, and he never ceases to remind me of it at just the right time. So what was it that the pastor told us? He said, "As a wife you have a lot of responsibilities and one of them will determine if your marriage will last a lifetime, that is that you remember to please your husband as he indicates with his manly desires that God has given to all men." Yep, pretty unbelievable but he honestly said that to me! He embelleshed on that line for a few minutes but I think I was still trying to pick my jaw up from the ground and recooperate so I missed the rest of it. Needless to say as we were saying our vows I prayed he wouldn't slide something in for me to repeat that was along the lines of what he said to me. I could imagine him saying, "And do you promise to please your husband with his desires until death do you part." Luckily he didn't say it. And just a little note, that pastor was shortly thereafter diagnosed with Alzheimers- very sad, but might be an indicator of why his counseling had been a tad bit off.

So we now had the pastor briefed on what we wanted, and he clearly briefed us on what he expected, and we were ready to go. The time came for me to walk down the aisle. It was important for my husband that Olivia be in the wedding and not as a flower girl. He wanted her to walk down the aisle with me, stand on stage, and he had vows to say to her as well as me along with a ring for each of us. This was another moment that made me weak in the knees and love him with every ounce of my heart.

So as my dad walked both of us down the aisle, Olivia at 3 with her gown looked like a princess right out of a fairy tale story, I realized something. That gorgeous bouquet that we spent a good amount of time making was sitting in the dressing room still. Ugh! We were on our way so I couldn't go back. We made it up on the stage and started to say our vows. Olivia got a little impatient and started to walk circles around us. And then we all heard a sound that was right out of heaven. Okay so it was a bird that had managed to sneak into the building and land on the top of the vine covered arch we were standing under. He was chirping away as we were trying to remain calm, all the time hoping he didn't poop on our shoulders. My husband handed our daughter her ring and said some of the sweetest things to her. Then we all preceeded to walk down the aisle, a little faster than expected so that bird didn't have too long to aim at us.

We enjoyed a great meal with family and friends and then we were ready to change into some comfy clothes and go. And here was the kicker. While we were enjoying our blessed day apparently one of our family members was making his day a little more blessed too. For when my husband got changed and grabbed his wallet, he looked in there for some reason and realized that our honeymoon money was gone. Yep, someone thought they would take advantage of the grooms dressing room and while in there noticed a wallet. Apparently they couldn't resist and decided to help themselves to our savings for that night. So instead of our original plans for the night we ended up at home with our daughter just like any other night and had to explain the situation to the photographer so that he would understand why we didn't have his money right then as we agreed on earlier.

So although our wedding was typical in a lot of ways it also had some events that make it more memorable and laughable to us.

Update note: That family member that left our wedding several hundred dollars richer has since spent several occasions in the county jail. Not because of our wedding, but because that must of been the start to a bad habit of stealing!

No comments: