I engaged in a conversation this morning with my husband about all the things that shocked us as we moved out on our own and away from the sheltering of our parents. Lucky for him he didn't sustain too many culture shocks. I on the other hand wasn't so lucky.
It might have been that I was 16 when I moved out. I graduated early, had a full time job, and had my mom sign a release for me to rent an apartment. And then the culture shocks started. I started to understand how much food costed, and the fact that I didn't like to make it. That isn't too big of deal living alone, but when you later are married and are responsible for feeding someone else it can be a big deal (or so he says).
I discovered that I couldn't afford the Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner. I also started to notice that I couldn't buy my hair supplies, makeup, and lotions at a salon. I couldn't have my hair done monthly (discovered the ease of pony tails). My husband oh-so-kindly guided me to a WalMart where he showed me that I could purchase those items for much less. I was astonished! If only I hadn't had to eat top ramen for five previous years just to afford what I thought were the only hair and body supplies available to the public.
And then there were the Oreos. I was not aware that they came with cream in them! I went to buy some at the store and couldn't believe how much better they were with cream. I called my mom to let her know about these new cookies I found. I just knew she would be ecstatic since these were always her favorite cookies. Boy was I in for a surprise. She informed me that I was old enough to know the secret, she had ate the cream out of the cookies for 16 years and just put the dry cookie parts back together in the package. Yes, I ate licked off cookies growing up and had no clue!
So the moral to this post is that we as mothers shelter our children in ways we have no clue that we are doing. It is wonderful to always buy nice things and have them in the house for the children as they grow up, but let them know there are cheaper options available. And for goodness sakes don't eat the cream from the cookies!
2 comments:
Oh my gosh! That is SO funny!
The joys of Walmart and cream filled cookies! Snort!
Thanks for the morning laugh!
I cannot believe your Mom did that, not that I am above that, I am sure I could come up with my own hilariously odd habit (or hey wait that actually sounds like a great idea) but to feed the licked cookies? And to do it so consistantly with no cream that you kids had no idea at one time they ever had cream?! That takes dedication I tell ya!! HAHAHA
Post a Comment