February 11, 2008

Grandparent Buddies

Our church has a program that I am very passionate about. It is called the grandparent buddy program where one Sunday a month some of the elderly and children from our church meet to do crafts, sing songs, eat some great snacks, and enjoy time together. At the first meeting of the year we pair up one "grandparent" with one child so they get to experience a growing friendship with their buddy throughout the year.

This year Olivia's buddy is Betty. She is a wonderful, kind hearted woman. She was kind enough to take on Hanna too. Hanna isn't old enough for the program but since I help to direct the activities she gets to come along with me and I am very thankful for that since daycare can be an issue. So Betty was nice enough to take on two buddies this year.

Grace received Lucille as her buddy and she just adores her. I sometimes wonder if Grace smothers her a little too much as Grace loves one on one with people and can be quite chatty.
We met for the second time this year and had Valentine's Day as our theme. They made valentine cards for eachother, decorated some hearts that they got very creative with, and enjoyed some snacks. My favorite part was that they shared stories of people and things they loved. I loved to see the twinkle in everyone's eyes as they told of things they were passionate about.
I think this program is terrific in so many ways. The children as well as the "grandparents" look forward to this day each month where they can enjoy eachother's company. How wonderful to be brought back to the simple fun of a child. To see things through the wonder and amazement of their eyes. And for the children you can't have too many grandparents!

3 comments:

The Summerfields said...

I think that is really special!! I think it helps bridge a gap in generations and fosters the ability for children to communicate with all ages which is somewhat lost in some ways there days. As well as for the older people to have conversation with children which can be equally as hard. I really want my kids to be able to talk to all ages and feel comfortable. It was not something I was every very good at myself and I wish I had been, I missed out on a lot of great stories and bonding with my own grandparents because of it.:(

Lindsey said...

I have to chime in one more time. Did I mention how wonderful those women are? One of them stopped by today to bring more Valentine goodies and to wish Liv a happy birthday. She said she seen some items at the store and thought the girls would like them. What a sweetheart! I love grandparents.

Anonymous said...

That is so neat! What a wonderful program for both kids and olders. :) We're slowly adopting an older couple next door. :)