Pregnancy. Being with child. Expecting.
All of these are supposed to bring to mind beautiful thoughts of expecting a newborn baby. Feeling that baby move inside of you. Seeing your stomach grow. Anticipating holding that baby for the first time. Trying to decide who it resembles.
Pregnancy, as I see it at 9 months pregnant.
Miserable. Yes, I can sum it up in one word. I have to admit that I haven't ever been a woman who is giddy about being pregnant. I don't look at pregnant women and desire to be like them. I have been here four times and the sole reason for that is that I love children, not pregnancy but children.
To me pregnancy brings to mind highly uncontrollable emotions, exhaustion, nausea, heartburn, swelling of all parts of the body, backaches, headaches, stretch marks, varicose veins, hemorrhoids if you are unlucky enough, having absolutely nothing that can fit into both a comfortable and cute category to wear, and the pain of labor.
And sadly, as exciting as it is to hold that baby once the labor is over (I don't need to go into all the details of how painful, miserable, and emotional that experience is) you still aren't back to normal! Then you get to experience the coming of your milk. Oh joy! Most of us women enjoy or can atleast somewhat appreciate the swelling of our breasts during pregnancy. But when the milk comes in that can be extremely painful. And there is nothing like standing in the shower and all the sudden some of it releases to spray your husband in the eye, yes we have been here and still laugh about that.
After baby is here you also get to experience the shock of what is left of your body. It isn't pretty! Your emotions are still way out of whack and lucky for you, you get a newborn to cry with you. I have yet to find that comforting!
You get the privilege of using a spray bottle to pee with for a week and although you laugh the first time they give it to you, it only takes one time of going to the bathroom for you to come to your senses and beg them to give it to you and thank them profusely for knowing you would need it.
Oh and did I mention you get to bleed for a few weeks like you have never bled before? You can laugh at those enormous pads they leave for you on the shower stool, but trust me you will use them!
And then there is the subject of resuming intimacy with your husband. I can make this short and sweet- OUCH!
But God was generous enough (or had a sense of humor that we were unaware of until this point) that he made momnesia. Yes that is amnesia for moms. Within a short amount of time, it varies from one mom to another, you will forget all of this and decide you want another little bundle of joy.
This is where I am at. I am writing this all down so that I won't get the momnesia so badly this time. I want to vividly remember all the downfalls so that number four can be the last. I DO NOT want to be pregnant again. So there is my perspective on pregnancy from month nine! Enjoy.
2 comments:
Ah the times of aches, pains, going to the bathroom every 15 minutes, not being able to get out of certain chairs, being tired to the bone but not able to sleep, wondering just how far you skin will stretch....
Then the baby moves.
And your heart melts.
I always find the following verse VERY comforting, especially in late pregnancy and during labor. I find it to be one of my favorite Promises from God!
John 16:21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.
Post a Comment