I recently watched The Bucket List directed by Rob Reiner and starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. This movie asked an underlying question of what would be on your bucket list, or list of things to do before you kick the bucket?
That got me thinking so I did a few searches to see what others would want to do before they died. There are plenty of suggested lists out there. One I found interesting was on Forbes. They had a list that Cecil Rhodes created. He was 48 when he died and for a 48 year old had accomplished more in his life than many centurions have. Being one of the richest men of his time I found it ironic some of what he listed.
Everyone has some idea of things they would like to accomplish in their lifetime. I wonder how many are monetary things and if truly on their death bed would they have that same list or would the seriousness of the matter turn their desires inward and away from tangible things.
Without being in a critical situation, as in given a death sentence, it is hard to fathom having our time on Earth limited. We all know our years are numbered but do we really get it? I don't think I do and for this reason I find it hard to make a list of the things I would want to accomplish.
I can't say that at this point I would have a desire to free fall from the sky, climb the largest mountain in the world, hunt an animal that could eat me in one bite, or dine in a place well beyond my means. I think my list would consist of more simple things like taking my daughter to that hockey game I promise her every year and don't follow through on. Or sleeping under the stars, even with pincher bugs, just to see the amazement on my children's faces as they watch the falling stars. I might even take that Alaskan cruise with my husband that he always wants to plan for us but I procrastinate because I am scared.
So if you had to think of a bucket list for yourself what would you write on it?
No comments:
Post a Comment