August 22, 2008

Week in Review Aug. 22nd

Memorization~ We are working on a poem called The Year by Betty Jones. Still need another week to complete it.

Math~ Olivia is still working through her review book to make sure she hasn't forgotten things from last year. Grace is working on addition facts to 10 and skip counting.

Language/Reading~ Both girls completed the first lightunit of CLE and are starting the second one.


Grace was able to read 15 words in one minute. That was her first timed reading test. She is doing fantastic and I am so thankful because teaching a child to read was my biggest fear when it came to educating them at home.

Health~ Working on respect this week. The girls made pictures of ways to show respect to others.
Art~ We made butterflies with paint. This was messy but a lot of fun!

History~ We are still working on Egypt and the pyramids in SOTW 1. The children used lap size white boards to create drawings of a ziggurat- a pyramid with steps going up the sides. Both of their drawings also contain a camel since that was our animal of the week.







Science~ Discussing food web and the categories of organisms as their role in it; herbivore, carnivore, and omnivore. Here is a rough sketch we did on the blackboard. It's too bad the pictures didn't turn out better as the animals they drew were pretty good.

That concludes our week in review! Have a great weekend everyone. :o)



7 comments:

Lori C., Texas said...

I love how you used the white boards for history. I never thought of that. That may get my boys more interested. I will have to try that next week. Teaching my kids to ready was my biggest fear also! My dd learned at public school but I taught my ds7 and now am trying to teach ds5.

The lego class my kids are going to take is at a co-op. I am not really sure exactly what it is but it is a special kind of lego. I think it is this kind http://www.legoeducation.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?pl=6&bhcp=1

Thank you so much for your compliment about my blog!:) I got my blog layout from http://www.lovesschool.com/ One of her hobbies is making blogger layouts. She does a great job. I personally don't have the patience to figure it all out!:)

Paige said...

I love the food web! Looks like you had a good week, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your week. Some fun and interesting things are being learned! Thanks for sharing. :)

Rhonda said...

Looks like a fabulous week! I love the butterfly-very pretty.
Teaching my kids to read was also my biggest fear early on with schooling them.
I really like the "respect" pictures your girls did too-very good idea.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great week!

And thanks for the lovely comment, Lori! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got quite a bit done! And had fun doing it! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy week!
We haven't started yet, don't even have the books yet. Oops.

You do crafts too. We don't do those. The Teacher is craft challenged. We'll have to come over to your house sometime. :-)