October 18, 2008

The Sweetest Day

I read that today is the Sweetest Day ...

It is always the third Saturday in October. This is the first I have heard of it but it sounds like a wonderfully uplifting day. As I went through the list of days celebrated I ran across many along the lines of Peanut Butter Day, Stuffed Animal Day, the now infamous Talk Like a Pirate Day, and all the sudden I seen the Sweetest Day. So I had to check into it, secretly hoping it was an excuse to eat nothing but chocolate.

Instead I found, from what I have read and hopefully understood correctly, it was created sixty years ago by a man in Cleveland, Ohio. He thought the city's orphans and shut-ins were forgotten and neglected, so he wanted to show them they were thought of through the giving of small gifts. He eventually sought other people to help him distribute the gifts and the idea quickly caught on. So that's how the Sweetest Day came about. It's an opportunity to let everyone around you know that they are thought of. So who would you choose to show that you think of them? And what would you do for them or give them as a way of showing that?

2 comments:

Paige said...

What a great holiday! Thanks for sharing about it, I'm going to have to think about how to celebrate this one.

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful day-I did not know the history behind it. I have heard of the sweetest day but like you thought it was a good excuse for chocolate! :)
I love your header-it is such a great picture!